Garður Ocean Diver Tour
On the Garður Ocean Diver Tour you will join the undersea inhabitants of the North Atlantic for a swim through Iceland’s cool coastal scene.
Our favorite local ocean dive site is Garður, located at the tip of the Reykjanes peninsula and a one hour drive from Reykjavik. Garður is a shore dive.
Kelp forests offer a great habitat for a number of marine species, including lumpsuckers, nudibranches, and a wide variety of invertebrates. Colorful algae also flourish here off the coast of Iceland. You will most likely notice pairs of eyes sticking out of the sandy patches of the ocean floor where the flounders live. Soft orange coral also intermittently decorates the sandy ocean floor. In the area of the kelp forests, a wolf fish might pay you an unexpected visit or stick its head out of a pile of rocks, looking a bit like a prehistoric creature.
The pick up time of this tour depends on the tides. We usually want to end our dive around the peak of the high tide.
Note that ocean dives in Iceland depend on the weather and it can happen that scheduled ocean dive trips have to be canceled due to unfortunate weather conditions.
If that is the case we usually have a plan B and can offer you other dive sites, such as Akranes, Bjarnagjá, Kleifarvatn, Davíðsgjá or Silfra that do not depend on the weather as much as the ocean.
- Guided dive tour
- 1 guided 40min dive in the Ocean
- All necessary dive equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies in the dive break
What's not included
Clothing to be worn under the dry suit and undergarment is not provided. Please bring:
- Long thermal underwear
- Warm wool socks
- Hat, gloves and scarf
What do I need to bring
- your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- If you wear glasses, please bring contact lenses or your own prescription mask if you have one
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Diving Silfra Medical Statement
- be between 150cm and 200cm in height
- be between 45kg and 120kg in weight
- fit within our dry suit size chart
- be minimum 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight and constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
Please note: Participants are not allowed on tour without signing the Diving Silfra Medical Statement and, if necessary, a physician’s approval which can be found on the second page of the Medical Statement document. Please read the Diving Silfra Medical Statement prior to booking to make sure that you are eligible for the tour. Each participant must sign our liability release form at the start of the tour.