Davíðsgjá Dive Tour
Davíðsgjá is a fissure located in Lake Thingvellir, just like Silfra. The name directly translates as David's fissure. Davíðsgjá is popular among local divers but international divers are not frequent visitors.
Davíðsgjá is usually slightly warmer then Silfra. Divers walk straight into the water and after a shallow swim they enter the long, deep and narrow Davíðsgjá fissure.
The maximum depth of the dive in this fissure is 21 meters. Davíðsgjá often has incredible underwater visibility, although this varies and is more dependent on weather than in Silfra. Therefore, Davíðsgjá is sometimes called Silfra's wilder and darker sibling.
The top of the fissure in Davíðsgjá is actually about 7 meters underwater, which allows for more contact with the water in Thingvallavatn lake. It is therefore common that trout join the divers in exploring this fissure.
- Guided diving tour
- All necessary diving equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies
- Silfra entrance fee of 1.500 ISK per person
What's not included
Clothing to be worn under the dry suit and undergarment is not provided. Please bring:
- Long thermal underwear
- Warm wool socks
- Hat, gloves and scarf
What do I need to bring
- your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- If you wear glasses, please bring contact lenses or your own prescription mask if you have one
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the Silfra tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Diving Silfra Medical Statement
- have our Diving Medical Statement signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older
- sign our liability release form at the start of the tour
- be between 150cm and 200cm in height
- be between 45kg and 120kg in weight
- fit within our dry suit size chart
- be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight and constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English
- not be pregnant
Participants are not allowed on tour without signing the Diving Silfra Medical Statement and, if necessary, a physician’s approval which can be found on the second page of the Medical Statement document. Please read the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement prior to booking to make sure that you are eligible for the tour. Each participant must sign our liability release form at the start of the tour.